Monday, March 1, 2010

The rain helps things to grow.... Even Elders!!!

Dear Family, Hey it is great to hear from you sounds like everyone is doing great back home. I would like to thank the Cope Family for the valentine cards they sent me and also the 8th ward for the valentine cards I received from them as well. Well to fill you in everything is good here in Argentina and for now we are pretty safe. We heard about the earthquake in Chile and the Tsunami in Hawaii. Everyone is ok here, I do not believe the earthquake reached Buenos Aires, however we have quite a few missionaries from Chile so we are concerned for them and their families and we will be praying for them. My companion Elder Baldomero says his family should be ok and safe back home in Hawaii so thats good to hear. The work is going good in Las Heras and sometimes the weather is nice as well. We received a lot of rain the other week, I have never seen it rain so hard like I have seen it rain here in Argentina. One day we went to Navarro to work and it rained almost the whole day. We left in the morning and it was perfect outside but as it got around mid day it started to rain and did not stop. We were not too prepared so Elder Baldomero and myself we got pretty soaked as we did not have our jackets our umbrellas with us. We made the best out of the situation and were able to continue working and serving those around us. Some of the streets were completly flooded and the water reached up to our knees. We arrived to one of our investigators house, a family who does not have much, they are suffering spiritually and physically. We arrived to their home and everything inside was completly flooded. They were very suprised to see us becasue they were thinking that we were not going to come because of the rain and everything was flooded. As we arrived we were able to help them save a few things from the flood, their refrigerator, tv, and stereo. It was a very humbling experience for Elder Baldomero and myself. We were not able to relate to what they were experiencing and what they were going through, however we know someone who does know what they are experiencing and what they are going through, our Savior Jesus Christ. Elder Baldomero and I are doing well and he is helping me with one of my goals that I set for this year which is to gain a little more weight. We usually cook or order dinner everynight. Elder Baldomero is good about staying on me and making sure I am eating, kind of reminds me of someone back home. Elder Baldomero played football in high school, linebacker, and he red shirted at sacramento state his freshmen year in college. We have a few investigators that we are working with and are looking forwarding to setting some baptism dates with some of them this week. The country here in Las Heras is pretty nice even though it is quite different than my other areas and from where I grew up, I love it! Sorry I was not able to send pictures today I will try and send some next week becasue this computer was not able to send pictures.I appreciate your love and support and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Con amor, Elder Brooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow of Elder Brooks' Mission

Cameron reads his mission call

Flag of Argentina

Flag of Argentina
The national flag of Argentina dates from 1812. The full flag featuring the sun is called the Official Ceremonial Flag (Spanish: Bandera Oficial de Ceremonia). The Official Ceremony Flag is the civil, state and war flag and ensign. The sun, called the Sun of May, is a replica of an engraving on the first Argentine coin, approved in 1813, whose value was eight escudos (one Spanish dollar). It has 16 straight and 16 waved sunbeams. According to tradition, during the Argentine War of Independence General Manuel Belgrano was commanding a battle near Rosario. He noticed that both the Crown's forces and the independence forces were using the same colors (Spain's yellow and red). After realizing this, Belgrano created a new flag using the colors that were used by the Criollos during the May Revolution in 1810. The flag was hoisted for the first time in Buenos Aires atop the Saint Nicholas of Bari Church on August 23, 1812. - Ref: Wikipedia.com