Monday, April 12, 2010

Wrong door leads to Alan's Baptism!

Dear Mom, I believe your birthday is coming up so I wanted to write you an email and wish you happy birthday! I love you! I enjoy reading your emails and hearing how everything is going back home. Sounds like everything is going great, and sounds like the young men and young women from the red rock stake have it made. What an activity, I was very impressed. Well I thought I would take a little time to answer a few of your questions and fill you in on Alan and his baptism. I am loving Las Heras, I love the area, its a lot different from the city of Las Vegas but I am starting to adjust and the members are great and they are always there to help us. We are still a branch and have a branch president, President Miguez, we have about 50 active members attending in Las Heras and about 10 attending in Navarro. The branch is doing great and stake is very pleased with our work. We continue to try and work as much as we can with the members, sometimes its hard with only a few members, their work schedules, and other responsibilities but we are doing well. Things are going great with our district, everyone is doing well and working hard. Things are going very well with Elder Baudon. He is a great Elder and is always trying to help. I appreciate the example that you have given me throughout my life. I can see how our examples play an important part in the lives of those around us. Thanks for your example Mom as I am now able to be an example to those around me. I love you! Now I would like to tell you about the example of Alan. Alan was able to be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church Saturday the 10th of April! First I would like to explain how we met Alan and his mother Mercedes. One day we were looking for some inactive members, we thought we approached the house of the less active members so we knocked on their door. Mercedes came out to attend us and to tell us that we were at the wrong house. We began to talk with Mercedes and set another day to pass by. We passed by the following week and we were able to teach her a little about the restoration and invited her to attend church. We passed by Sunday morning and we found Mercedes ready with her son Alan, dressed and waiting for us. We all went to chuch together and had a great experience, it was testimony meeting and Merceded bore her testimony, the spirit was present and strong and testified to all of us the truth of the gospel. We then continued to pass by and teach Mercedes and Alan. They were always excited to talk to us and learn more. We talked about the example of Jesus Christ and invited them to follow his example and be baptized in his church. They were excited however Mercedes would then have to wait because she is not yet married. They continue to read in the Book of Mormon and say their prayers. Alans baptism went very well and Elder Baudon was able to baptize Alan. We had the baptism at the Zeballos house, it's also where our branch meetings are held. We used a portable pool to have the baptism which was rather interesting. After having the baptism and confirmation Alan had the opportunity to share his testimony. I would like to share his testimony with you. In english he said, "I felt a change, something in my heart." It was short and powerful as he then got a little emotional. Everyone present was able to feel the spirit. Alan is a great kid and a future missionary! I am grateful for having been able to meet Alan and his family and for having been able to help them come to know of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that he is our great example. I am grateful for all that you have taught me mom especially through your example. I hope you have a happy birthday Mom! I love you, and I am always praying for you. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Con amor, your son Elder Brooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow of Elder Brooks' Mission

Cameron reads his mission call

Flag of Argentina

Flag of Argentina
The national flag of Argentina dates from 1812. The full flag featuring the sun is called the Official Ceremonial Flag (Spanish: Bandera Oficial de Ceremonia). The Official Ceremony Flag is the civil, state and war flag and ensign. The sun, called the Sun of May, is a replica of an engraving on the first Argentine coin, approved in 1813, whose value was eight escudos (one Spanish dollar). It has 16 straight and 16 waved sunbeams. According to tradition, during the Argentine War of Independence General Manuel Belgrano was commanding a battle near Rosario. He noticed that both the Crown's forces and the independence forces were using the same colors (Spain's yellow and red). After realizing this, Belgrano created a new flag using the colors that were used by the Criollos during the May Revolution in 1810. The flag was hoisted for the first time in Buenos Aires atop the Saint Nicholas of Bari Church on August 23, 1812. - Ref: Wikipedia.com