Monday, August 9, 2010

UPDATE FROM LOMA GRANDE

Dear Family, It's great to hear from you and sounds like everyone is doing well and now my baby sister, Mackenzie is 16 years old! Happy Birthday Mackenzie! Everything is going well here in Argentina and i am enjoying my new area here in Loma Grande with my companion Elder Vita. The first week of every transfer can get a little crazy with the many changes and getting adjusted to your area but things are going well. I am enjoying the area here in Loma Grande which is located near a pretty big city called Merlo. Loma Grande is not located in the city but it is close enough that we can take a bus and get must of our stuff for p-day taken care of in Merlo. I love our zone, we all got together last week for district meeting and we are all pretty excited to get to work. Also there are still a few Elders in the zone from when I was in Las Heras so its good to see them. Our zone Marcos Paz basically starts at the train station in Merlo and goes to the last train station in Lobos. If you get off at the train station at 34.5 km you would be in our area, Loma Grande and our apartment as well as the church are located pretty close. My companion Elder Vita is a great elder and we are getting along well. Elder Vita is from Cusco, Peru and has seven brothers/sisters with Elder Vita as the youngest. I am not sure if I mentioned this before but Elder Vita and myself are scheduled to finish our missions at the same time. The members of Loma Grande are great as well and I have been trying to get to know all of them. The bishop is also very nice and he is from Paraguay. This past Sunday I had the opportunity to give a talk in church and talked about the importance of the scriptures, specifically the Book of Mormon, and how it has blessed my life. I believe it went well and it was a great opportunity to share my testimony about the Book of Mormon. After church we had lunch at the Robledo's house. Damian Robledo is one of the kids and he is preparing to serve his mission, and at times he goes out with us to teach. Damian received his mission call Sunday and he opened it before we are lunch. It was pretty exciting to be there because it reminded me when I opened my mission call. Damian is called to serve to Mexico, Mexico City West mission and he is very excited. This week we have a few meetings planned such as district meeting, leadership meeting, and also a meeting with the Stake President. I am grateful for the opportunity I have been given to serve. I know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each and everyone of us. He loves us and is willing to guide and help us as we live the Gospel of his son Jesus Christ. I hope you have a great week. I love you and I am praying for you. Con amor, Elder Brooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow of Elder Brooks' Mission

Cameron reads his mission call

Flag of Argentina

Flag of Argentina
The national flag of Argentina dates from 1812. The full flag featuring the sun is called the Official Ceremonial Flag (Spanish: Bandera Oficial de Ceremonia). The Official Ceremony Flag is the civil, state and war flag and ensign. The sun, called the Sun of May, is a replica of an engraving on the first Argentine coin, approved in 1813, whose value was eight escudos (one Spanish dollar). It has 16 straight and 16 waved sunbeams. According to tradition, during the Argentine War of Independence General Manuel Belgrano was commanding a battle near Rosario. He noticed that both the Crown's forces and the independence forces were using the same colors (Spain's yellow and red). After realizing this, Belgrano created a new flag using the colors that were used by the Criollos during the May Revolution in 1810. The flag was hoisted for the first time in Buenos Aires atop the Saint Nicholas of Bari Church on August 23, 1812. - Ref: Wikipedia.com