Monday, September 7, 2009

It's a dirty job...but someone's gotta do it!

Dear Family and Friends,
Hey sounds like everyone is doing great. Also, it sounds like you have received the pictures I sent through the mail and also the ones I emailed that’s great. I did not realize I wrote the address wrong but I am glad you were still able to receive it. Of course you have questions about the pictures with the mud, that was quite a story. I will try and describe what went down….me hah. The streets were covered in mud due to the rain and we were going to our appointments as normal. As we headed to our last appointment we reached a street covered in mud. Long story short I tried to jump to a different area of the street. However, the part I was jumping from was also muddy. I took a step back to get some momentum. Then I took about two good steps forward and planted my foot to jump. As I pushed off to jump, my right foot totally slipped out from under me and I clearly was not able to make to the area I desired. I ended up covered in mud but I was able to clean the clothes later, so mom do not worry. So as you know we changed our preparation day to Monday. Due to the temple closing soon is the reason for the change. I was able to attend the temple last transfer and we are scheduled to go again this transfer before it closes. I will still be sending the weekly newspaper but you will be getting it a week later because they send it to us on Thursdays now. Thanks for emailing more pictures, I have not looked at them yet but will when I get the time. Dad thanks for the BYU update that’s pretty impressive. Elder Brown one of the other Elders in our apartment from the last transfer received a new missionary straight from the MTC, and made me think about when I arrived here for the first time. We are doing our best to help him get adjusted. It seems like we have not had a regular p-day forever. We had a zone activity one day, we went to the temple another day, and now transfers meetings which are on Mondays take up half our p-days as well, but it's ok. Short story, usually we went to transfer meetings, not knowing who is going to change areas. I was thinking I was going to leave Castillo this past transfer because I have been serving for about four months. We told some of the recent converts and members so I could have them write in my journal and such, because usually you would find out in the transfer meeting on Monday and have to leave to your new area Tuesday. As I told the Celle family, they were a little sad because they did not want me to leave yet, and neither did I. It was an amazing experience to hear them say in their prayers, Please let Elder Brooks stay. It was also an amazing experience to have them receive their answer when I went to this past transfer to find I would be staying here in Castillo for this transfer. This mission is amazing, I am very grateful for all your love and support. I look forward to hearing from you soon, con amor Elder Brooks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!
    Buenos Aires is a gorgeous city!
    I spent a great time last month in Buenos Aires. I rented a furnished apartment in Recoleta, Buenos Aires, near the down town. I suggest that service called ForRent Argentina: Buenos Aires apartments For Rent
    Cheers,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete

Slideshow of Elder Brooks' Mission

Cameron reads his mission call

Flag of Argentina

Flag of Argentina
The national flag of Argentina dates from 1812. The full flag featuring the sun is called the Official Ceremonial Flag (Spanish: Bandera Oficial de Ceremonia). The Official Ceremony Flag is the civil, state and war flag and ensign. The sun, called the Sun of May, is a replica of an engraving on the first Argentine coin, approved in 1813, whose value was eight escudos (one Spanish dollar). It has 16 straight and 16 waved sunbeams. According to tradition, during the Argentine War of Independence General Manuel Belgrano was commanding a battle near Rosario. He noticed that both the Crown's forces and the independence forces were using the same colors (Spain's yellow and red). After realizing this, Belgrano created a new flag using the colors that were used by the Criollos during the May Revolution in 1810. The flag was hoisted for the first time in Buenos Aires atop the Saint Nicholas of Bari Church on August 23, 1812. - Ref: Wikipedia.com